Hey, guys! I was inspired to write today’s post because getting a good night’s sleep is essential for me to get through the week. I have mentioned before that I am an accountant full time and my hours are 7-4 Monday through Friday. In order to get to work on time I wake up at 4:45 and leave my house at 6 with a few minutes to spare before going into work at 7. Getting up at that hour can be rough sometimes so I wanted to share a few tips on getting a good night’s sleep to make waking up early not so hard. Even if you don’t wake up at the crack of dawn, it is still important to get good rest during the night to be able to function all day! Here are a few things that help me sleep a little better at night..
1) Put down your iPhone: I always try to put my phone down about 30 minutes before I go to sleep. It is a fact that the blue and white light from our smart phones can prevent our brains from producing melatonin, which is a hormone that tells us it’s nighttime. As a result of that, it takes us longer to fall asleep.
2) Stretch: I don’t know if I’m the only one, but sometimes when I lay down after a long day I can feel my muscles aching, especially in my legs. I’ve found that setting aside a few minutes to stretch my body before bed causes my muscles to relax, and then I can fall asleep quicker.
3) Take a hot shower/wash your face: I typically take my showers in the morning, but I know that I sleep a lot better when I’ve just taken a shower. There is something about washing away the day and climbing into bed that is so refreshing! Since I don’t usually shower at night, I will definitely give my face a good cleanse after I take my makeup off. Just having a clean face helps me to sleep a little bit better at night.
4) Adjust your room temperature: I am a cold person by nature. I love to bundle up in sweats and a hoodie or wrap up in as many blankets possible because I am always cold, but at night all of that goes out the window. Being from Georgia, I usually turn the A/C on before bed so our room will cool down and I also sleep with the ceiling fan on. I cannot sleep if the bedroom is even just a little warm so it’s super important that the temperature is adjusted properly so I don’t toss and turn all night.
5) Don’t eat before bed/avoid caffeine: This is a hard one and it’s easier said than done. Obviously for some of us, it’s not possible to eat before 7 every single night, but when you have the opportunity, try to eat dinner early. Eating a meal right before bed can cause us to be uncomfortable when we lay down. Also, I drink a ton of Coca Cola. I don’t drink coffee, so that’s how I get my caffeine in every day. I try not to drink any soda after 7 so it doesn’t cause me to lay awake for a long period of time.
I hope some of these tips are helpful to you in getting a good night’s sleep! Let me know if you have any tips or tricks that you use to help you sleep better at night. Have a great week!